- Senator and Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama and his wife gave $240,000 to charity last year. (By the way, did you know that Michelle Obama is a fan of informed giving?)
- Senator and Democratic presidential contender Hillary Rodham Clinton and her husband gave more than $10.2 million to charity over the past seven years.
- President George W. Bush and his wife donated over $165,000 in 2007.
- While in office, Vice President Cheney and his wife have donated close to $8 million.
- Last year, New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg donated $205 million.
Considering the giving records of these politicians, it was surprising to learn that New York Governor David Paterson and his wife only gave $150 worth of used clothes to charity last year. Hopefully, they paid attention to the new laws governing donations of noncash gifts and made sure that the clothing was in "good used condition or better.”