In case you missed it, here are some of the charity headlines making news this week:
- Many charities will feel the impact of the worsening economy over the coming months. These charities will gladly hear about a church initiative for people to donate 10% of their economic stimulus checks.
- Celebrities are doing their part as well, with New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg and Pamela Anderson making donations to the causes close to their heart. A handwritten Harry Potter prequel garnered close to $50,000 at a charitable auction, while Anne Hathaway has received some attention regarding the investigation into her boyfriend’s charity.
- A food pantry in
is using technology to show its clients the respect they deserve. New York City
- A recent contribution of Grateful Dead memorabilia has sparked the warning for donors to be careful before parting with their prized possessions, since, as a donor of a different kind recently found out, the donations can have unexpected consequences.
- International aid has been promised to Afghanistan, amidst concern of corruption interfering, while
Myanmarstill does not trust aid coming from the United States.
- Meanwhile, local organizations in the region struck by Hurricane Katrina are questioning FEMA regarding the $85 million in surplus in supplies that has not been handed out.
- Finally, smaller foundations have gained in popularity recently, while an organization in
is preparing the future generation of donors. Seattle