Our interest in the giving habits of politicians continues with the release of the President & Vice President's 2009 tax returns. Here's what those documents show in terms of the Obama's and Biden's philanthropic endeavors for 2009:
- The President & First Lady donated nearly $330,000 to 40 charities in 2009. This is up from 2008 when the Obama's gave about $170,000 to charity (6.5% of their income).
- The largest gifts the Obama's made in 2009 were to CARE and the United Negro College Fund which each received $50,000. Some of the charities on the receiving end of the Obama family's generosity in 2008 include CARE ($25,000), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation ($5,000), Direct Relief International ($5,000) and New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity ($5,000). In 2008, the average size of each contribution was just under $5,000.
- Also, President Obama donated his $1.4 million Nobel Prize to 10 charities.
- The Biden's contributed $4,820 to charity in 2009 (this includes monetary and in-kind donations).
- Historically, the Biden's have given 0.06% - 0.31% of their income to charity (or $120 - $995).