Did you know?
- You must keep a bank record or written communication from a charity including the charity's name, along with the date and amount of your contribution, in order to deduct a cash contribution.
- Donations to the nation's 400 biggest charities dropped 11% in 2009. This decline was nearly four times as great as the next biggest annual decrease of 2.8% in 2001, when charities also struggled to raise money from recession-battered donors. Sadly, these large charities say that they don't expect to fair much better in 2010.
- According to the Census Bureau, 43.6 million people lived in poverty in 2009 which was up from 39.8 million in 2008.
- Charity Navigator users gave 360% more through our site in January 2010, when the earthquake hit Haiti, than January 2009.
- A recent survey of charitable organizations in 10 countries around the world revealed that demand for services is rising faster than donations.
- One in eight people worldwide do not have access to safe drinking water. Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people annually that all forms of violence (including war).
Visit our site for more holiday inspired factoids. Then share them with your family over the holidays to impress them with your philanthropic knowledge!