The latest figures show that:
- Network for Good (which Charity Navigator has partnered with to process donation via our site) has processed over $1 million in donations for charities responding.
- Charities are reporting $24 million in donations thus far. The pace of giving is much slower than after Haiti (>$150 million was raised within the first 4 days) and Katrina (> $108 million raised within the first 4 days).
- Donors continue to be interested in text-message donations in times of disaster as the American Red Cross reports receiving $1.6-million in text-message donations. However, giving is at a slower pace than after the Haiti earthquake when the American Red Cross raised more than $8-million from text-messages in the first 48 hours.
- Corporations, like Caterpillar and JPMorgan Chase, are starting to announce their gifts to Japan relief and recovery efforts.
- Charities are starting to report on their specific efforts to help.