Here’s how the numbers stack up for the typical charity in our database ---- a large, sophisticated, and financially healthy organization.
- The median charity generates $4.9 million in total revenue.
- 81.5% of the median charity’s spending goes to programs, 9.4% goes to administration costs, and 7.3% goes to fundraising. The median charity spends 10¢ to raise one dollar in contributions.
- The median charity shows a 3.9% increase in primary revenue growth and a 5.9% increase in program expense growth over the last three to five fiscal years.
- The median charity also maintains enough working capital to cover more than 11 months at current levels of spending.
- The median charity receives an overall rating of 3-stars.
- Among the charities evaluated by Charity Navigator; 30% obtained a four-star rating, 34% received a three-star rating, 24% received a two-star rating, 10% received a one-star rating and only 2% received zero stars.