- 1643 - The first account of a fundraising drive in America is organized by Harvard University. It raised 500 pounds.
- 1917-Thanks to the Revenue Act of 1917, taxpayers can deduct their charitable contributions off their federal income taxes.
- 1953 - Approximately 50,000 groups have obtained charity status from the IRS.
- 1990 - Approximately 40,000 organizations apply for tax-exempt status this year. The number of charities has grown to nearly half a million (489,882).
- 1999 -New legislation requires charities to provide copies of their three most recently filed Forms 990 to anyone who makes a request in-person or in writing.
- December 26, 2004- Millions of Americans opened their wallets and give a total of $1.54 billion to support relief causes in the wake of the disastrous tsunami in South Asia.
- April 2012 - Charity Navigator , the nation's largest and most-utilized evaluator of charities, turned 10!
Photo by H.Damke via Shutterstock.com.