Under pressure from the media, politicians and donors, the majority of this money was spent within a year of the attacks. However, some charities wisely withheld a portion of the money they raised so that they could continue to fund memorial projects, mental and health-care services, and scholarships into the future. At least two highly-rated charities, Scholarship America and GlobalGiving, continue to provide 9/11-related programs and services.
Facts related to 9/11:
- 20% of Americans knew someone hurt or killed on 9/11.
- Around 36,000 units of blood were donated to the New York Blood Center, but only 258 were used.
- The IRS fast-tracked the approval of 300 new 9/11 related charities. By 2006, 1/3 couldn't be located and 38 had closed.
- The fires burned for almost 100 days after the attack.
- Around 1,300 corporations and foundations made 9/11 related donations accounting for nearly 40% of all donations.
- 2,992 people died in the attacks.