1. First, determine which causes you’ll be supporting in 2016.
2. Next, use Charity Navigator to select a small group of charities that are financially healthy and transparent.
3. Then, look at the charity’s programs to determine whether or not they engage in the type of work you would like to support. Check on the charity's results by calling them or visiting their website.
4. Map out a plan and budget for the year (consider setting aside some money for disaster giving), then let the organization(s) know your intentions. Knowing your plan helps the charity keep its fundraising expenses at a minimum while focusing on the programs you intend to support.
5. Use Charity Navigator’s Giving Basket to keep all of your donations in one place. Through the Giving Basket, you can donate one time or on a recurring basis. Recurring donations can easily be modified on our website. At the end of the year, you’ll get one report detailing all of your charitable donations, making tax season that much simpler.