Welcome to Charity Navigator's Blog!

The team from Charity Navigator, the nation's largest independent charity evaluator and leading donor advocate, shares their thoughts on emerging nonprofit-sector issues and offers tips to better inform your intelligent giving decisions.

Return to Main Site   |   Find a Charity   |   Receive Email Updates   |   Support Charity Navigator

Friday, November 21, 2008

Celebrity-Related Charities

Celebrity involvement in charities is a topic of interest to many people. While some celebs can be proud of their philanthropic efforts, others are not quite so successful. This recent article highlights 10 celebrities and their less than stellar charitable efforts. Three of the charities mentioned are organizations that have been rated poorly by Charity Navigator. With a rating of 2 stars, the The Larry King Cardiac Foundation spends more than 20% of its budget on fundraising. The Magic Johnson Foundation, rated 1 star, spends nearly as much money on administrative support as it does to run its programs. And Dyan Cannon’s Operation Lookout receives our lowest rating, 0 stars, primarily because it spends almost 70% of its budget to raise money, leaving less than 30% to spend on its programs.

You can see a list of 10 Celebrity-Related Charities on Charity Navigator’s website, and see for yourself how varied the results can be where charity and celebrity collide.

As a 501 (c) (3) organization itself, Charity Navigator depends on public support to help donors make informed choices. Please consider investing in the future of Charity Navigator by making a donation today.  Donate now >>

No comments: